image1 image2 image3 image4

PHOTOGRAPHER|HOME CHEF|BEER DRINKER|HOMETOWN EXPLORER|HOT SAUCE ADDICT|DESIGN LOVER

Crispy Buffalo Pig Ears!


    In your travels have you crossed paths with Crispy Pig's Ears?? If you haven't, you are missing out on one of the best bar foods around! If you like buffalo wings or consider yourself even a tiny bit of an adventurous eater you have to give these a try. I can say I was a believer after eating those first delicious, crispy, fatty, crunchy pieces. I first ordered these at Rx Restaurant in downtown Wilmington, NC and I was so impressed I knew I wanted to try and emulate their dish at home for myself!


Now preparing this appetizer isn't difficult, but it does take a little bit of time and having the right utensils will take you a long way. You can find pig ears for sale in some local grocery stores, but I would recommend trying to find a butcher to source them from so you know they are as fresh as possible. Just like anything else you cook with! Also, make sure to season the water you stew the pig ears in with aromatics and don't be afraid to save that gelatinous leftover water for stock!

So take a chance and give this delicious appetizer a try next time you see it on a menu or feel like cooking something different. I promise it will go down as easy as bacon!


Crispy Buffalo Pig Ears Recipe 

• INGREDIENTS -
• 2 pig's ears
• 1 onion, peeled and washed
• 2 carrots, chopped coarse
• 3 stems of celery, two chopped, one sliced on the bias for garnish
 • 1 cup dry white wine or vermouth
• A bouquet garni (thyme, parsley, marjoram, etc)
• Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon
• 1/4 cup Flour
• Blue Cheese / Ranch
• Franks Red Hot Sauce

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the ears and let boil for 2 or 3 minutes to get rid of some of the impurities. Remove the ears from the pot and set aside, discard water. 

2. Place the pig ears, carrots, garlic, celery, bay leaves onions and thyme in a large pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook until the ears can be pierced easily with a knife, 2 - 4 hours. 

3. Remove the ears from the stock, discard the vegetables and reserve the stock for later use. Place the pig ears aside and let cool. 

4. In large pot heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350 degrees F. 

5. Once the ears are cool, thinly slice and place in a large bowl. Coat the ears with the flour. In small batches, fry the pig ears for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring with a slotted spoon stir to make sure they do not stick together. 

6. Remove the ears with a slotted spoon and place in a medium bowl lined with paper towels. Season with salt, and toss to evenly coat. Repeat with the remaining ears. Then toss the fried pig ears in hot sauce and serve immediately. Slice celery on the bias, dress with salt and pepper and add to plate for garnish with blue cheese/ranch dressing. 

7. ENJOY!!!

Don't be afraid to find new uses for pig ears either! Toss the crispy bits in a pasta or garnish a salad with them! The possibilities are endless. Just make sure you share the results with me so I know I'm not missing out on anything! Keep in touch and tag me if you try these on your own!

Cheers,
Andrew

P.s. - Here are a few links that can help you with this recipe and round out your kitchen!


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Andrew Sherman. Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts